黑衣小兒雨打牕, The brat in black hits against my window [like] rain,
斑衣小兒雷殷牀。 The brat with streaks rumbles over my bed [like] thunder.
良宵永晝作底用, Fair nights, long days: what good are they after all,
只與二子更飛揚。 With nothing but the two brats flying to and fro.
開尊匕箸須一洗, [When I] raise a wine cup, the spoon and chopsticks require a rinse;
破巻燈火尤相妨。 [When I] open a book, the lamp and fire create an even bigger nuisance.
從來所持白羽扇, The white-feathered fan that [I] have always held,
自許百萬猶能當。 Boasts it repels [them] in their hundreds and thousands.
安知手腕為汝脱, How could I have known because of you my wrist would be disjointed?[1]
以小喻大眞成狂。 One who sees the great in the small would get truly cross.[2]
揮之使去定無策, Waving them away [I] settle on no plan;
葛帳十幅眠空堂。 Within ten layers of kudzu curtains [I] sleep in an empty hall.
朝喧暮鬨姑聽汝, [I] listen for now to your morning humming and evening buzzing,
坐待九月飛嚴霜。[3] And sit waiting for the ninth month with harsh frost flying.
* From Zeng Ji 曾幾 (1084-1164), Chashan ji 茶山集 (Wenyuange yingyin Siku quanshu 文淵閣景印四庫全書, vol. 1136, Shanghai: Shanghai guji chubanshe, 1987), 3.11a-b: https://ctext.org/library.pl?if=en&file=3665&page=92.
[1] It is common in poetry to complain about the fatigue from trying to drive away mosquitoes with a fan, though the hyperbole about a disjointed wrist here is a little unusual.
[2] This line presumably associates the poet’s disappointment in the fan (the small) with a general criticism about making big promises without being able to keep them (the great).
[3] Red characters rhyme.
Album leaf on a mosquito-hunting spider, by Qian Xuan 錢選 (1235-1305)
Image credit: National Pa;ace Museum, Taipei
Copyright Declaration*:
The texts and images used on the website of Rachelle's Lab are either from the public domain (e.g. Wikipedia), databases with open data licenses (e.g. Shuhua diancang ziliao jiansuo xitong 書畫典藏資料檢索系統, National Palace Museum, Taipei), online libraries that permit reasonable use (e.g. ctext.org), or original work created for this website.
Although fair use of the website for private non-profit purposes is permitted, please note that the website of Rachelle's Lab and its content (including but not limited to translations, blog posts, images, videos, etc.) are protected under international copyright law. If you want to republish, distribute, or make derivative work based on the website content, please contact me, the copyright owner, to get written permission first and make sure to link to the corresponding page when you use it.
版權聲明:
本站所使用的圖片,皆出自公有領域(如維基)、開放數據庫(如臺北故宮博物院書畫典藏資料檢索系統)、允許合理引用的在線圖書館(如中國哲學電子化計劃)及本人創作。本站允許對網站內容進行個人的、非營利性質的合理使用。但請注意,本站及其內容(包括但不限於翻譯、博文、圖像、視頻等)受國際版權法保護。如需基於博客內容進行出版、傳播、製作衍生作品等,請務必先徵求作者(本人)書面許可,并在使用時附上本站鏈接,註明出處。
*Read more about copyright and permission here.
Comments